The Wiggles TV Series 1, Episode 1
July 31, 1998 (AUS)
|Approx. Running Time|
|“||You're the funniest turtle!||”|
"Anthony's Friend" is the 1st episode of TV Series 1.
Get Ready To Wiggle with Greg, Anthony, Murray and Jeff in the original Classic Wiggles TV Series! Sing and dance along with Dorothy the Dinosaur at her 5th Birthday Party! Help Greg, Murray and Jeff solve the puzzle of Anthony's mysterious new friend, or learn to ride the unicycle with Captain Feathersword and Wags the Dog!
Anthony has an imaginary friend, Morty, which leaves the other Wiggles confused.
Carolyn teaches Kaz, Mouse and Parrot how to mix colours. First she uses red and yellow and makes orange. Then she uses blue and yellow and makes green. And lastly, Carolyn uses blue and red and makes purple.
Dorothy tells Wags about how the children sing at kindergarten by doing children songs such as Jingle Bells and Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. The children did some movements and actions just like The Wiggles and their friends. When she told him about the song that's all about a dog, Wags thought it was about him, but it was not. It was about a dog called Bingo.
Anthony wakes everyone up by making noise while playing with his "friend" Morty. When Greg, Jeff, & Murray ask him about Morty, they find a mess in the kitchen. Anthony says that Morty was just making breakfast. The three start to wonder if Anthony's playing a trick on them. Dorothy comes and says "hi" to Morty, when The Wiggles ask Dorothy if she sees him. Dorothy says no but that he's Anthony's friend. Anthony asks if Morty can play at the next concert, but Greg says no-one can see him. Anthony becomes sad that he can't play, but Greg says he didn't say he can't but Anthony gets the wrong message and helps Morty to rehearse. Morty opens the door, puzzling Greg, Murray and Jeff.
- Who made the mess in the kitchen?
- Was it Anthony or was it Morty?
- Or was Anthony playing a trick on all of us?
Henry the Octopus visits Jacques the Shark who was looking after his seaweed crop. Next he saw Joey the Crab who was drumming and it was too loud. A short time later, a little fish got lost and Henry can hear her crying and she asks Henry if he can help her. She got lost because she was looking in the coral reef and lost her way to the school. So Henry says that they have to wait for the teacher to get here to the coral; Henry said that he will wait until she comes. So they played a little game of "I Spy" and then the teacher arrived at last. And Henry invited the teacher and little fish to come and see The Underwater Big Band.
Wags the Dog was doing magic tricks to show the penguin statue and the garden gnome like magic hands with a flower appearing, a hula hoop turns on the wrist and a magic hanky out of the hat with his bone and his magic wand and then Captain Feathersword comes to see Wags the Dog while he's on his unicycle and then the magic wand crashed to the pot plants. Oh no. Oh what? Captain Feathersword picks him up and then tries to teach Wags the Dog some tricks and even goes as far as to demonstrate them. He keeps doing mistakes on them. But, the best plan is, that Wags the Dog can do it because he is not as silly as he is. He tried to get back on the unicycle that you fall of your bike, get right back on, but he didn't do it. Captain Feathersword then tried to make Wags the Dog sit but he sat on the chair and Captain Feathersword tried fetch with a stick but Wags the Dog just made him do it. So Wags throws a stick and fetched it like a dog. And then Captain Feathersword did roll overs but he ignored it and do the hula hoop and unicycle. At the end Wags the Dog does a trick that nobody else can do, he is sitting on the unicycle with his head.
Wiggly Chase Scene
- Dorothy's Birthday Party (from Wiggle Time!)
- Ponies (from Wiggle Time!)
- Henry's Dance (from Yummy Yummy)
- Greg Wiggle
- Anthony Wiggle
- Murray Wiggle
- Jeff Wiggle
- Kaz the Cat
- Dorothy the Dinosaur
- Henry the Octopus
- Captain Feathersword
- Wags the Dog
- Dorothy's Party/The Octomobile! (Sprout title)
- This is the first Wiggles episode to use a classic Warner Bros. cartoon sound effect since the 1998 version of Wiggle Time!
- This would mark the only time "Dorothy's Birthday Party" would be used in a television episode.
- Even though this is the first episode of The Wiggles aired on TV, it wasn't the first one filmed. This was filmed after "Funny Greg" and "Muscleman Murray", making this likely the third produced episode.
- For the Disney Channel Australia, this episode aired in 1999 after the broadcast special of The Wiggles' pay television debut: The Wiggles in Disneyland.
- The Season 1 intro shows deleted scenes from this episode:
- Jeff yawns before he says "Morty? Who's Morty?".
- Murray smiles in relief after Anthony says that he and Morty won't make any more noises, or maybe it could be a blooper from when he was saying "Anthony there's no-" but he accidentally patted his nose.
- An alternate shot of Anthony saying "You can't miss him, he's this big!".
- In North America, this episode appeared on the Bob the Builder: Snowed Under: The Bobblesberg Winter Games, Bob the Builder: Getting the Job Done!, Kipper: Tiger Tales, ToddWorld: Hi, I'm Todd! and Angelina Ballerina: The Silver Locket DVDs in 2004 and 2005.
- During the Kindergarten segment, there is a Bear in the Big Blue House poster.
- This is the only episode where the camera cuts instead of fading after the Henry the Octopus intro.
- After the Captain Feathersword's Pirate Show intro, the camera cuts to the start rather than fading to it. This will happen again in Murray's Shirt.
- On October 25th 2020, the episode was uploaded on The Wiggles' YouTube channel.
- This episode aired on Playhouse Disney before the Wiggly Safari video and album were released in America.